Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Introduction

Hi, I'm Terrie. I'm an anthropologist and, as of 7 and a half months ago, a new mommy. Honestly, I never thought I would have babies. I married late (34-gasp!) and figured I would be happy as a cool aunt. But it happened, at the ripe age of 36, and this little guy has changed my life, to say the least. I never thought it was possible to love someone so much and to have such overwhelming feelings of not only love but also of protectiveness and complete and utter devotion.

I found pregnancy and am finding motherhood to be fascinating. With a background in science, I am of course interested in the scientific aspect of everything. With my more recent education as an anthropologist, I feel like I have a better appreciation and understanding of my child's developmental milestones. Basically, I have a different perspective, different than I would have had several years ago and probably different from most people. I notice the tiniest details and find myself thinking back on something I learned in Primate Behavior or Human Evolution. So I want to document my observations, my thoughts, and just every fascinating thing about my baby. Some of my writings may be anthropological in nature but most will probably just be straight-up proud momma. Since I'm almost 8 months late in starting this endeavor, some posts will obviously not be chronological. I will post a birth story at some point because I find myself remembering some new detail every time I think of that day, and I certainly don't want to forget any of them. Hopefully, you will enjoy reading about my thoughts and experiences and feel compelled to contribute your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment