Monday, August 20, 2012

Currently Reading

I am currently reading Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Michael's sleep pattern has been worse the last few days, causing me to be an zombiesque mess. Today was awful. What I've learned so far from the book is that his naps are right on target, one about 9am and the second around 1pm, each usually an hour and a half to 2 hours long. The problem is the nighttime.

I decided to put him to bed earlier last night, around 6:30 since that's what is emphasized in the early chapters of the book. He fell asleep but woke up shortly after ready to play and took a while to go back to sleep again. So that was a fail. Then he woke up too many times and was up for the day at 5:30am! Then he wouldn't fall asleep for a morning nap, so daddy took him out while I showered and that just made it worst because guess what? He fell asleep on the car ride home, so for about 15 minutes. Needless to say, he was a fussy pants all morning. I laid down with him in the bed with his Gentle Giraffe (which we use every night) on full blast. At this point, I decided to just put him down to let him know he had to sleep. He cried for about 5 minutes. I cried too because I was just as tired and frustrated. He finally stopped crying and flopped around for a bit until he finally fell asleep on the giraffe. He had one quick wake up, but I was able to get him back to sleep easily. He slept for about 90 minutes. I certainly didn't want him to have an evening nap so I kept him up and he showed signs of tiredness by 6. He kept resisting sleep with everything I did. Finally I laid down with him again and let him cry for a few minutes before nursing. He FINALLY fell asleep after 2 hours of trying everything. He's asleep next to me now. I have a lot more reading to do, but in the meantime, I plan to make sure he at the very least gets his naps consistently and a regular bedtime.

Has anybody read this book? Any feedback on it? So far it makes sense to me. I just hope it works.

EDIT: He just woke up at 8:45. All hell.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, it will get better! I feel like my boys' sleep issues resolved around 9-12 months, so this is the home stretch. I know they have major growth spurts around this time, so that could be contributing to it, too. Just know that you aren't alone. :)

    ReplyDelete